There are three different types of melee attacks in Eternal Crusade. These use a "Rock/Paper/Scissors" mechanic that determines which type of attack is best against certain others.
- Fast Attack (Right click or click or RB) interrupts Strong Attack (hold left mouse button or RB)
- Defensive Bash (left + right click or LB+RB) counters Fast Attack (left click or click or RB)
- Strong Attack (hold right mouse button or RB) beats Defensive Bash
Each type of attack then has a secondary version that affects its strength.
- Sprint Attack (right click or click RB while sprinting) = Stronger version of Fast Attack
- Evade Attack (right click or click RB while evading or jumping with a jump pack and being at less than 15 meters from the target) = Stronger version of Fast Attack equivalent to sprint attack with most weapons
- Air charge (right click or click RB while jumping with a jump pack and being at more than 15 meters from the target) = Explosive dash on the ground
When a character receives an attack:
- If the attack force is above a certain threshold, the character gets interrupted (short hit animation)
- If the attack force is above a bigger threshold, the character gets short staggered (longer hit animation)
- If the attack force is above a even bigger threshold, the character gets long staggered (even longer hit animation)
The different thresholds are calculated according to the character stability, so what interrupts a Tactical will not mandatorily interrupt a Terminator.
Certain big melee weapons simulate the momentum of the weapon, so they add a stability bonus during the attack move.
The rule is that a weapon who at more than one tiers below another one in the force ranking cannot interrupt it.
- Top tiers = Power Fist / Thunder Hammer
- 2nd tiers = Power Axe / Power Maul / Crosius
-Can interrupt Top tiers weapons
- 3rd tiers = Swords
-Can interrupt 2nd tiers weapons
-Cannot interrupt Top tiers weapons
- 4th tiers = Knifes
-Can interrupt 3rd tiers weapons
-Cannot interrupt 2nd tiers weapons